Friday, December 27, 2013

Arizona 2013: Mariachi Music, Migraines and Other Christmas Memories


The stillness of the desert has a way of amplifying sounds, sights and other senses. The rusted wind chimes in the garden sound like the Carol of the Bells ringing mercilessly in my ears and the Milky Way seems to be close enough to touch. At 3am I was roused from my post-Christmas sleep by mariachi music. The same neighbors that harvest their Prickly Pear cactus also have a love of their Mexican heritage that is sometimes a little too freely shared. It was at this time I realized I had a throbbing migraine, my first since arriving home for the holidays. Probably too much lifting and not enough water.

My time in Coolidge is winding down. My dad had a successful run as Santa's Helper and also enjoyed his 72 birthday. I have seen 3 movies with him in less than a week, which is pretty normal around here.












 My mom, acting as my biggest supporter and part-time manager, staged a jewelry sale for me to peddle some of my handmade baubles. I think I made enough for my next round trip ticket on Allegiant Air. She is pleasantly surprised every time my little niece, Sawyer, runs to her with sheer joy on her face and practically climbs up into her arms. It has been fun to see Christmas through a 14 month old's eyes and remember how great Sesame Street really is - Cookie Monster has gotten much cooler as the years progress.





I accomplished all of the projects my mother tasked me with plus a few unexpected ones:
- caulking the kitchen cabinets against invading creepy crawlies;
- moving dirt and rock into the possible puddle spots in the driveway;
- clearing out the back storage room so my mom can organize her boxes of photos and frames and to make way for my dad's Triumph (a 20 year "project of obsession");
- hanging up oil paintings by my mom and another local artist in the guest room; and
- transplanting cactus bits that have fallen down in a wind gust.




In the course of writing this entry, the Mariachi music has stopped and my migraine is almost gone. One day left before I head back up to Utah and the sub-zero winter. I will spend my time building Lego castles with Sawyer and soaking up the Arizona sunshine.



No comments:

Post a Comment