Sunday, April 13, 2014

Baton Rouge 2014: Exploring the USS Kidd with the Kids

Saturday was my day with the kids and The Kidd. However, my adventure began long before we boarded the great war ship...

After narrowing down our choices, the children decided they wanted to visit the USS Kidd, a restored WWII destroyer. The catch, I had to drive Jim's monster truck with its grumbling diesel engine and 50 gears on the stick shift (OK, maybe only 5 or 6) downtown. With the aid of my phone's GPS mapping I found my way to the Mississippi River and even scored a parking space I wouldn't have to back out of.


Both Brennan and Kate loved the Veteran's Museum, but Brennan was in Seventh Heaven running from model ship to model ship like a kid in a candy store.

With our map in hand, we were set free to wander the ship from mess hall to radar room to the officer's state rooms. After our history lesson on The Kidd, we wandered around the downtown area a bit and admired the "castle"  which is the Louisiana Old State Capitol Building. I left my phone's GPS on all afternoon so my battery died. I had to "follow my nose" back home and luckily we all made it without a scratch. The dogs did get out once we were back, but came home hungry and tired in the evening. We ended the day at Mooyah's for some tasty burgers (turkey burger, that is, for me and Janel) and sweet potato fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment