Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Russia 2015: Just outside Moscow...in Search of Gingerbread

After a long, restless White night on the train from Saint-Petersburg, I arrived in Moscow at 8:30am. Friends from the Moscow-Utah Youth Games days arranged to pick me up at the station. One of them, Vlas, had the morning free to get me settled into my hotel - Danlovskaya part of the Moscow Patriarchy Monastery, and to take a ride to some of the villages outside of Moscow.



We were looking for a special gingerbread at the Museum of Russian Desserts in Zvenigorod, but they were sold out. We did, however, stop by the 1300 century church currently being restored. Vlas took me on a short excursion around the ancient walls near the church and then we were on our way again.



Our next destination was the Savvino-Starozhevsky Monastery. Another place devoid of foreign tourists, the monastery is an active site for locals and pilgrims. Rich in history and miracles, it is also the site of a wonderful bakery. We finally found some gingerbread to take back as souvenirs.







Our last stop before heading back to Moscow was to get water at a source of holy water and to see the cave of the hermit-monk who founded the monastery. Perfect sky, perfect breeze and a perfect chance to see a new part of Russia.





The view from my window over the monastery - clouds are rolling in. I am getting ready for my presentation tomorrow to the Press and Protocol section of TsAGI - time to talk International Event Planning, Protocol and the Olympics...in Russian!


No comments:

Post a Comment