Saturday, May 25, 2013

Mexico 2013: Of tides and time

Can a plus be a minus? It can when it comes to resort vacations. Yes. I like the room with the sea just outside my window and the comp breakfast buffet this morning was spectacular. But committing our entire morning to hearing about the "great chance of a lifetime" was more than I bargained for, I could do without the yellow plastic wrist band as well. I guess it is just such a different way than I usually vacation...small family run hotels, walking distance to downtown and shopping like a local.


There is an 18 hole golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus - great if you are a golfer. It is right on the estuary of the sea and so the tides change the landscape throughout the day. We even spotted egrets wading nearby. Speaking of tides, I seem to always go out to the beach at low tide. I walk out what seems like a quarter of a mile before the water is even as high as my ankles.

We finally made it back into town in the afternoon and went straight to the outdoor shops - what we always referred to as the Cholla Mall. However, as we crossed the train tracks on Calle Revelution the sign over the newly paved street reads "Welcome to Rodeo Drive". Times have changed, but the souvenirs are pretty much the same as ever - talavera pottery, silver jewelry, bottles of vanilla, and mini bobble head turtles.
  




No comments:

Post a Comment