Sunday, May 19, 2013

Utah 2013: First time for everything


Provo Airport in the shadow of Mt. Nebo

Fresh snow fell on the mountains last night. It is still glistening in the sun as I sit at the Provo airport waiting for my first ever flight on Allegiant Air direct to Mesa, AZ.  I arrived 1 ½ hours early, not my usual travel routine (the web site said 2 hours prior) but since I didn’t know the check-in/security system here, I made a compromise.  I have one carry-on bag, packed to the gills and a very large purse for my computer and other bits and pieces that could not be smashed into the bag.
I will be home for a couple of days, just enough time to play a bit with my niece, Sawyer, and to work my way down the list of “projects” my mom has ready for me. Then we will drive about 4 hours south to the seaside town of Puerto Penasco, Mexico. I have made many trips to this humble shrimping town since High School. This will be the first time actually staying at a resort – hopefully there will be less “las cucarachas” than previous stays in budget hotels. We will have 3 days to explore all Rocky Point has to offer, hopefully we will make it out to Bird Island.


Lift off - a view of Provo and Mt. Timpanogos
There is another storm rolling in over Provo Lake.  Not much action on the tarmac, just a couple of “mini” planes – we are the only commercial flight today.  The waiting room has almost filled to capacity with more than their fare share of children under the age of 3. I am doing my best to drown out the increasing volume level with some “Iz”, Imagine Dragons and The Civil Wars. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment