Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Belize 2013: A Tale of Ambergris Caye with Jungle Rain - song 1

From the very beginning of our stay in San Pedro, I was intrigued by the sliver of turquoise sea just along the horizon. By day we could see the white caps of the waves and at night could hear the low rumble as they broke against the barrier reef. The plants were all super sized and the coconut trees filtered just the right amount of sun as we lounged on the beach. Our constant companions were Bruno (who loved to fetch coconuts from the sea) and yellow butterflies that seemed to materialize out of nowhere.

Encouraged by Dani, I woke up one morning and wrote down some of my impressions and passed them on to her. She expanded on my thoughts and added her own verses. She already had a tune with an "island" feel which she finessed on her ukulele into this little song.

As soon as we left the island for our last three days on the mainland, nostalgia set in and we decided to record our little song with the morning jungle rain in the background. This was the first time we sang the entire song together and I picked out the harmonies as we went along.


A Tale of Ambergris Caye (Siren's song)

by Dani and Amy in Belize

A warm embrace soothes my cares
And with the tides carries them there
Turquoise sea beckons me like a siren's song

Luring me to what lies beneath
What lies ahead way past the reef
Turquoise sea beckons me like a siren's song

There is a light between the trees
My face is turned to the breeze

Walk on the water if you try
No longer question marks in starry skies

Yellow butterfly flutters by
Carefree across Belizean sky

Butterfly, better wings to fly
Just lead me to my future sky
Just lead me to my future sky



No comments:

Post a Comment