Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Belize 2013: Police and Pupusas

A few days into my trip to Belize, I took a slight detour to the bright yellow and green Police Station on San Pedro. We were so thankful for our air conditioned bedrooms and we woke up to the faint light of the sunrise every morning. It was 4:30am when I ventured out into our steamy living room/kitchen area of Brianna's Beach House. Our morning ritual was to open the back and front doors, held open by heavy conch shells, to get a cross breeze in the house.





one our our blissful bedrooms
 This morning I though the back door was unlocked, but that couldn't be the case, right? Wrong. I immediately noticed that my laptop and the camera I was charging on the table were missing. Another impossibility, right? Wrong. The windows had been left open that night, as we did other nights, but we felt safely snug with the doors locked. Unfortunately, the burglar slit the screen on the kitchen window and was either extremely thin or passed in a child to grab the electronics and exit the back door. We heard nothing over the roar of the air-con. Just happy they were only interested in an easy heist and left us sleeping.

I reported the theft to people we were renting from and they advised me to report it to the police. PC (Police Constable - from their British Honduras days) Martinez took my statement. When I filed the report he made sure to note that I "got up at 4:30 to watch the sunrise." He said they had some ideas who might have broken in since another house further north was hit a few nights earlier. I doubt anything will every come of this entire caper. My only consolation is that my computer was on it's last legs, so burglars wont get much use out of it once it is wiped clean. Lucky for me, I saved my past trip photos onto CDs before my trip since I thought the laptop wouldn't last much longer.

Determined not to let the events of the morning taint my time in Belize, we welcomed our neighbor girls selling coconut and cane sugar goodies to our house once again. A few hours on the beach helped put it out of my mind as well.


That evening we decided to sample the pupusas at the highly recommended Pupuseria Tipico Salvadoreno - corn meal pockets with veggies and/or cheese and/or meat. The ironic thing is that there are two restaurants in San Pedro, right across the street from one another. We picked the one that was there first, only seemed fitting. Loved the food and went back a few days later for seconds. And the best part – they are only BZD$2.50 (1USD = 2BZD) each.


No comments:

Post a Comment