Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Belize 2013: wan·der·lust (wndr-lst) n. A very strong or irresistible impulse to travel.

Although German in origin, the word "wanderlust" is a perfect description of the sometimes all-consuming urge that sweeps over me a few times a year. It has yet to send me to Germany, but there is still plenty of time for that.

Brianna's Beach House
I am breaking out of my comfort zone with this trip tomorrow to Belize. In the past, Europe has been my master, calling me back to explore new lands and to return to familiar places. Since I am traveling with a friend this time, I decided to compromise. She wanted to relax on a beach for a week and I wanted to climb a tower or two. Luckily, Belize can offer both. We will stay on Ambergris Caye (pronounced "key") in the small town of San Pedro for a week in a two bedroom retreat called "Brianna's Beach House".
view from the porch

The photos and the reviews are positive and inviting plus the house is only steps from the ocean. We will take a day trip or two to the mainland for a tour of Maya ruins, but mainly we will be found beach side. The last three days we will be just outside the former capitol of Belize City at the Orchid Garden Eco-Village, living amongst the toucan, iguana and baboons (well they will be a bit farther into the jungle then we will be.)

Orchid Garden Eco-Village
So why Belize? Well, both of us have friends that recently returned from Belize and had great things to say about this mini Caribbean country (I admit I had to look on a map to make sure I knew where the country was.) My Russian speaking friends thought I said Tbilisi (in the country of Georgia) and could not understand why I would want to go there :) Once I explained it's Caribbean location, all made sense.

Until 1981, Belize was known as British Honduras ( I wonder if you can find "bangers and mash" there?) It sits just below the more touristy areas of Cancun and Cozumel and next to Guatemala along the second largest barrier reef system in the world. English is the official language, but Creole and Spanish are commonly spoken. We should be able to navigate the 10 days with relative ease. Most tourists come to dive or snorkel...we will give snorkeling a try. Last time I tried was about 12 years ago off the shore of Eilat on the Red Sea and I started hyperventilating after about 5 minutes.

I borrowed all these photos from other websites. Next time, I will have my own to tell the tale.

Aerial view of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye.


3 comments:

  1. Hello, How was your stay at Brianna's Beach house? We just booked our stay there and I couldn't really find many reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved the house itself. Great location away from the crowed restaurants and hotels in the middle of town. We met the landlady, Sandra, only once briefly and mainly worked with the other staff from SEArious Adventures. They arranged for a taxi from their place after picking up the keys as well as when we departed. there was drinking water available in the house, which was great and housekeeping came every other day. There were bikes to use to get around and nothing beats having the sea right out your front door. The neighbors were very friendly and helpful.


      Having said all these wonderful things, we did have a couple of unfortunate things happen during the week we stayed there. The hot water heater went out, and they arranged for a repair man to come and fix it mid week. It went out again and they replaced it on our final day. Good news for anyone staying after us. We felt very safe in our air conditioned bed rooms at night. However, one extremely stifling hot night we left a couple of windows open in the main part of the house to get a cross breeze. We never heard the thief slip in though the small kitchen window (the screen was slit open) in the middle of the night. My laptop and camera were charging on the table and they took them as well as the mobile phone supplied to us by Sandra. We heard nothing since the air conditioning was so loud. The thieves didn't touch the TV or the DVD player or any of the appliances, just small electronics. When we left, we were told they were fitting the windows for security bars. If this is the case, I think Brianna's will be a great place to stay. Just make sure before you go

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete