Friday, March 6, 2015

France 2015: Nimes - Bullfights and Macarons


The TVG train to Marseille was wonderful - announcements in 3 languages, peace and quite, and a second story view of the Cote d'Azur passing by. I stopped briefly in Marseille to change trains - this time onto one of the intercity trains, a little less nice. The sun was bright, brighter than it has been the entire trip and, of course, people were still wrapped up for winter!




















The Hotel Cesar in Nimes is literally steps from the train station. It is not as upscale as my Venice hotel, but it is clean, has an elevator, wifi, and the staff are helpful even with broken English. I visited the neighboring provincial town of Arles 8 years ago with my mom. Like Arles, Nimes has a roman arena dominating the center of the city - more used for Spanish-style bullfights these days than for gladiators. I hope to take a look inside tomorrow. I found a Monoprix and stocked up on food for the next couple of days - water, crepes, yogurt, green olives, chevre cheese and hummus. I still had some strawberries from the Nice market and Nutella from Italy.

I also found my way into a patisserie complete with a decadent selection of French macaroons. I spent as much on 7 macaroons as I did on my entire food purchase (10 euro), but oh, the delight of those macaroons! I am rationing myself to one a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment