Saturday, March 7, 2015

France 2015: Gladiators in Nimes and Knights in Aigues-Mortes

It is Saturday in France. This means most trains and many buses in this smaller city don't operate. I had hoped to see the Pont du Gard (a roman built ancient aqueduct) or the medieval walled city of Aigues-Mortes. Medieval walled cities win every time. The train was not running at all today, so I would have to take the bus. 
















With time before departure I was able to climb the steps and wander the corridors of the Arena in Nimes. It is one of the best preserved arenas in all of France, maybe even Italy. The tour is interspersed with multi-media presentations that really bring the arena's history to life. The elliptical Roman amphitheatre, of the 1st or 2nd century AD, is the best-preserved Roman arena in France. It was filled with medieval housing, when its walls served as ramparts. It is still used today as a bull fighting and concert arena. It always amazes me to see such ancient structures and the transformations they endured.

I am so happy I chose to visit Aigues-Mortes (guess Pont du Gard will have to wait until next time...) I had no idea that it would be such a charming place with shops and cafes inside the walls and a walk up top along the ramparts. Most of the tourists were French, with an occasional English speaking visitor like myself. It took the better part of an hour to walk around the entire city. The shops were full of both provincial trinkets and souvenirs from the Petite Camargue region. I saw several mini knights with wooden swards striking down pinwheels and stone fish in the fountains. Once again I walked and climbed until I could barely hobble back to the bus stop. It was a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment