Sunday, October 21, 2012

Italy 2012: An afternoon in Naples...

Naples. Honestly, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I left Sorrento later than planned, so by the time I arrived in Naples and found the Hotel Zara, I was too late to try and find the LDS branch. I figured I would spend enough time in churches today that it would give me that “Sunday feeling” regardless. I had been cautioned in many a travel guide to be on my guard in Naples. My hotel is near the train station and the Old Town. The crowded streets nearby were littered with garbage and immigrants selling knock-off Prada bags and Gucci sunglasses. I wanted to hop back on the train and return to Sorrento! But, I decided to stay.

With map in hand I navigated the back streets of Old Town. The buildings were so close together in some places, you could probably leap from one balcony to the next. Laundry hung freely and graffiti covered every free space.


Naples streets in Old Town.
My medicine had worn off and I was miserable again, hot, tired and miserable. I made it to the National Archaeological Museum just in time. The highlight was seeing the halls with artifacts and frescoes from the excavated site of Pompeii. Having visited there earlier, it made an even greater impression. It was amazing to see the bits and pieces from everyday life, cut short in an instant.

Model of Pompeii today

Fresco from one of the villas in Pompeii
By the time I made it out of the museum, I felt like I was coughing up a lung. I took a shower (in the narrowest bathroom I have ever seen) drugged up and slept for a bit. Not wanting to spend the rest of the evening in my room, I ventured out again. I wanted to give the city another chance.


In front of the Duomo.

Children playing soccer outside the Duomo.
I left my map behind, so I had to use my best sense of direction to find the Duomo. Luckily, it wasn’t too far from my hotel – about 15 minutes walk and I had seen signs for it on my earlier walk. I stopped in for about 30 minutes. I needed to just find some solace from the dirt and noise outside. It is hard to comprehend the massive space inside some of these cathedrals. I can see how worshipers would just sit (probably stand) back in awe at God’s immense grandeur. I found my bit of peace and gave up on the site seeing for the evening. 

Near the Castle in Naples.
I have internet at this hotel and so I am content to enjoy my caprese salad – McDonalds style - and my crème caramel pudding. I have to catch a 7am train to La Spezia in the Cinque Terre tomorrow, so I hope to make it an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment