Monday, October 15, 2012

Italy 2012: Two more sleeps until Italy (planning the trip)


For me, planning the trip is almost as much fun and the trip itself. I find maps, read reviews, book my hotels and figure out the top sites to see weeks before I actually get on a plane. This lets me channel my obsessive tendencies in a productive manner :) My favorite site to check on hotels and sites to visit is TripAdvisor. My past several trips abroad have been really successful thanks to a bit of research and a few candid traveler's photos as I look for hotels.

I also make an daily itinerary (with cheesy title and everything,) a carry over habit from my days working for the Olympics. This gives me something to follow and to stray from - a very important thing to remember is to have some structure but be flexible enough to change things as needed. Here is an example of my first two days:

Italy and Switzerland
Sirens, Pirate Coves and Postage Stamps
October 17-29, 2012

Wednesday, October 17 (Tuesday night stay at Dani’s)
  • 7:00am  Drive to SLC Airport
  • 9:25am  Depart SLC - Delta 4497 via IAH and CDG
Thursday, October 18 - SORRENTO (Euro rate: 1 euro = $1.30)

11:55am Arrive in Naples - purchase ticket to Sorrento and ticket to Monterosso on Oct 22
  • Bus #14 or Airport bus to Piazza Garibaldi and train station - Circumvesuviana Train to Sorrento
1:00pm  Check into to Hotel Nice* Corso Italia 257, tel: +39 0818781650, info@hotelnicesorrento.com  (Check in 11:00am, Breakfast included - No Wi-Fi - En suite bathroom)

PM Visit Sorrento sites:
- Old Mill Ruins
- The Old Walls
- Church and Cloister of San Francesco
- Sorrento Cathedral and Bell tower
- Oviessa – Corso Italia 129 (a good place to shop like a local for scarves and shoes)


My favorite maps to use are the Lonely Planet ones. 
They have just enough detail and leave off the extras.

Knowing which bus or train to take as soon as I step into a foreign country, alleviates that initial angst of being dazed and confused, jet lagged and overwhelmed by the sights and sounds of something new and unfamiliar. Although I have been to Italy a few times before, this will be my first time exploring the western coastline from Positano up to Genoa and will definitely put my theory of planing ahead to the test.

I take a bit of foreign currency with me, either exchanged at my local bank or at the exchange points in my US layover city. The lines to exchange $$ at the airport upon arrival are usually quite long and the rate isn't usually any better there than at home. I use my credit card at a local ATM to take out the rest of my foreign currency for the trip. As soon as I step of the plane, I like to consider myself a traveler and not a tourist. My passport is not hanging in a beige pouch around my neck and I don't have on khaki shorts, an obnoxious tee shirt, or a baseball cap. If I had a nickle for every time I saw someone from America step off the plane looking like this...

I am traveling light, one normal sized back back (with pouch for my laptop) that has wheels for the un-cobbled streets, and my trusty Salt Lake 2002 book bag. This combo has gotten me around Europe my past 3 trips and seems to keep my purchases down and lost luggage a thing of the past. I have to give credit where credit is due - Rick Steves may be a bit pretentious at times, but his advice is sound and the packing list he supplies on his website is a good one to follow for the 10-14 day trip to Europe http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/rick-steves-packing-checklist-women.pdf.

So, I guess I am ready to go.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Amy! I'm looking forward to future posts about this trip. It sounds like you are going to have a blast. Thanks for sharing your adventures with those of us stuck at home!

    ReplyDelete