Monday, October 22, 2012

Italy 2012: Cinque Terre - amore!

I came. I slept. I left Naples without so much as a quick look behind. The train ride was a long 6 ½ hours but at least it was scenic. I just wish my coughing fits could have waited until after I got off the train – I think the poor Italians riding in the coupe with me thought I was Typhoid Mary :(

I made the quick change in La Spezia and as soon as we passed the first of the Cinque Terre villages, Riomaggori, I knew the day was going to end well. I got a quick glimpse of the other villages each time we emerged from the tunnel before finally reaching Monterosso al Mare. At the train station, I learned that ALL the trails between the Cinque Terre towns were closed. New rain and bad luck made them all impassable. So much for my trekking in Northern Italy. At least I can take the train between the towns and maybe even a boat, if I am lucky.

Monterosso Beach


Il Gigante.
 It was a quick walk up the hill in the New Town to my hotel, Villa Adriana. I have a top floor room with an amazing view of the sea and can almost see the 4 other towns if I look in the distance.  It took only about 20 minutes to wander through the entire Old Town part of Monterosso - tiny streets and old stone buildings. I then followed a path to the old castle and made my way to the beach, before heading back to my hotel.

Montorosso al Mare window.
 
Monterosso al Mare - downtown.


 I didn’t really want to eat in one of the bars along the water, so when I found out my hotel served dinner, I was happy to stay in. This did not mean, however, that I would be playing it safe with my all dinner choices… Dinner began with an antipasta salad buffet; First course: tortellini in broth- AMAZING; Second course: grilled swordfish (I have gotten a bit braver with eating fish since my Canada days - it was swordfish or rabbit – I decided since I was near the sea, I was safe with the seafood); Dessert: strawberry tart with marscapone cheese - yum! All in all, it cost about 15 euro for everything - the same as most other restaurants were charging just for their second course. I love a good deal! I am full and ready to sleep.

The village of Vernazza in the distance.
I hear there is a Tuesday morning market in Vernazza, so I am heading there first. Hope to still get some good photos of each village. It may be tough since I wont be able to get the view from the trails. I have only just begun my time in the Cinque Terre - but I am already in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment