Saturday, October 20, 2012

Italy 2012: Sorrento - land of lemons and green olives

It is 8pm – Sorrento time – and I am starting off my 12 days of “ la dolce vita” with my dessert. Nutella and Tuc crackers. As soon as I find wi-fi I will post this entry.

But I am getting ahead of myself…

9 hours in a 10-seat-across Boing 777 is rarely an enjoyable experience.  However, this time, it was. OK, enjoyable may be a bit strong, but I just wanted to point out how little things can really make a big impression. I flew into Houston and checked into my Air France / Delta code share flight to a Paris. When I did, the agent asked me if I wanted to move up a couple of seats to a row that was empty. The flight was not full and chances are I would be able to lay down. I jumped at it and when I settled in I staked my claim on the entire row as obviously as I could. I wanted to lay down on at least 3 of the 4 seats as soon as we reached 35,000 feet. I made my move, even before we were served dinner – which, by the way, was some of the best airplane food I have ever had, first class included. Only on a flight to France would you get veal sautéed in mushrooms and edamame salad. In the middle of the flight a little lady settled into the end seat so I did my best to keep my feet to myself. I am not sure I actually slept, but I was able to not sit the entire way.  I also loved how the pilot said the word “Boeing” - it was more like the sound Tigger makes when he bounces on his tail, instead of the name of an air line company. Oh, simple joys.


The misty valleys near Naples - view from the plane.

After switching planes in Paris, I flew into Naples with a great view of the only active volcano on mainland Europe, Mt. Vesuvius.  It hasn’t erupted since around WWII, so I hope it is not due for another any time soon.  I caught the bus from the airport directly to the main train station. I had the impression that Naples would be a bit on the rough side, and it was. I have one day there before I head up North go form a proper opinion. I bought my ticket for the Cinque Terre on Monday, and then made my way to the Circumvesuviana train station.  The train, more like a Russian electrichka, was packed with loud, obnoxious teenagers, tourists from every country on the globe and commuters heading home for the day. I was happy I packed light.

Sorrento - Tasso Square

Doors and a bike

Sorrento - land of lemons and green olives. My hotel, Hotel Nice (like the French city), is really quite nice. It is literally a few steps from the train station and a few more steps from a full service supermarket. Only one official “star” rating, but I think that must be because it doesn't have Wi-Fi. It has high ceilings, air conditioning, a large bathroom (although the shower is only about 2 feet by 2 feet with a door about 1 foot wide) and an elevator. The staff is friendly and already remember my room number each time I leave and pick up my key. I wandered around town a bit that evening and picked up some food at a nearby supermarket.


Vesuvius and and a very photogenic seagull.
It is really a lovely town, not quite the charm of Venice, but still a great place to unpack and relax for a few days. I want to stay awake until at least 9pm to fight my jet lag and so walking to near exhaustion was my best bet.


Tomorrow. Pompeii.

No comments:

Post a Comment