Saturday, October 27, 2012

Italy 2012: Lake Como - Sometimes the journey is the destination.

It was 23 degrees Celsius (about 73 degrees) when I got back to my hotel last night. This morning I woke up to rain and almost 10 degrees cooler. Looks like Fall finally caught up with me. Looks like I am going to get some use out of my jeans, jacket and umbrella. I caught the morning train for the 1 hour ride up to Lake Como. Rain and fog, not the ideal conditions for an open air ferry ride up from Como to Bellagio. But, if the rain had come yesterday, I would not have been able to access the Duomo rooftop – stone gets rather slippery in the rain and they don’t allow visitors up, thankfully.

Lake Como town through the foggy rain.





Ferry stop just before Bellagio.
I am sure the views along the lake are breathtaking, but the fog was so heavy, I couldn’t see the mountain tops or even the other side of the shore. When we neared the docks, I finally saw the beautiful towns, somehow forgotten by time. I took the slow ferry for the 2 hour trip to Bellagio. Today, the journey was the destination.




At the ferry stop.
Bellagio was quaint, small, hilly and a bit touristy. But after an hour, after some great pizza and lemon soda, the rainy cold was settling into my bones so I took the fast ferry back to Como (only 45 minutes this time.) I had a bit of time before my return train, so I visited the Duomo in Como and some of the back streets for photos. It was hard to enjoy it with the cold rain and soggy pant legs, so I made it an early day and went back to Milan.

The Como Duomo.

I guess it is good that the rain came on my last day in Italy, makes it easier to leave. Tomorrow I am heading north again, this time to Switzerland and Zurich. Think I will have to layer on a bit more to keep warm this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment