Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Italy - Utah 2012: Wi-Fi and Matryoshkas

I rarely make it as far as the Delta Gate B. It is far in the hinterlands of the airport, devoid of shops and places to distract before the flight. Kind of feels like the trailer park of the airport world. At least there is free Wi-Fi. Something the SLC Airport got very RIGHT. I am traveling light, a back pack with wheels and a book bag. It is still amazing how much stuff I can stuff. When I unpacked last night to make sure I didn't forget anything, it was like circus clowns piling out of a mini car - I have no idea how everything fit. It really helps to roll my clothes and to combine little things into plastic baggies, something my mom taught me before my first trip abroad.



Last night I attended a reception for a Russian art exhibit at the UVU Woodbury Art Museum (in the University Mall) as part of the Global Spotlight on Eursaia. I lent the museum one of my Russian wool shawls and my over sized Matryoshka. She was all shiny and under a glass case, just like proper Russian art. She never looked so good. I purchased her in St. Petersburg back in 1990 for only $15. Who would have thought she would end up in a museum on day. I think the exhibit lasts for a couple months. Definitely worth a visit! I especially liked the painting of the lilacs - almost made me tear up out of a feeling of nostalgia for the untouched Russia I remember so well.







So without further delay, I must hop on the plane and begin this adventure to Italy. After a layover in Houston and Paris, I should be in Naples just in time for some Neapolitan Pizza! 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are finally on your way. Enjoy Europe for me...I really miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this!! Hope your back made it all the way over without too much pain. Looking forward to going on this adventure with you through your writings :)

    ReplyDelete